Monday, July 6, 2009

Under the Tuscan Sun

In Tuscany I got the Italian experience I had been hoping for, it was so beautiful and romantic, I wanted to rent a villa and stay for a month! We stayed in Florence, which I loved. We started the day off by visiting Michelangelo's David, which was so beautiful and awesome. It's kind of dumb, they have him in a different museum than all the other good art, but I guess it's a good way for them to make money off the tourists. After that we went to the Duomo, but the line was long so we didn't go in, just looked at it from the outside. Next we went to the Uffizi gallery, which I think was probably my favorite museum of the trip (and that's saying a lot considering the other amazing museums we visited like the Louvre and the Prado). It didn't have as many paintings as the Louvre, but I think there were a higher percentage of paintings that I really loved, like the Birth of Venus, and some more great Carravagio paintings. Right outside the Uffizi is the Piazza della Signoria, where we sat and enjoyed some.... you guessed it, gelato. Then we crossed the Ponte Vecchio and climbed up to the Piazza Michelangelo, which has amazing views of the city.
The next day we took the train to Pisa, where we jumped off just long enough to see the leaning tower, and then ran back to the train station and headed to Cinque Terra. Cinque Terra is really beautiful.... we spent some time on the beach there and a little bit of time wandering through the city before heading back to Florence. That night we had maybe the best meal of the trip (tied with Switzerland, in my mind). We read a recommendation in a guide book for this little Trattoria, that was kind of underground and tiny with tables packed in. It was VERY authentic, a lot of the people eating there were locals, which is a good sign. They sat us at a table with about 8 other people, which was different, but cool. The food was amazing!

The Tuscany area was quite possibly the most beautiful, romantic place I have ever been, and I was sad to leave. To see all our pics, click HERE.


1 comments:

Cory & Alli said...

Hi Hailey! I found your blog through Tiffany, hope you don't mind! Looks like you had an awesome vacay!!! So jealous!